Skip to content ↓

16-19 Bursary

Students in the Sixth Form, who may be in need of some financial support, can apply to the School’s 16 to 19 Bursary Fund. This is a fund which has been allocated directly by Government to individual Schools to administer. We are committed to distributing bursaries to those students with the greatest need. All students will be encouraged to complete the online application at the start of the term in September.  The link is also provided at the end of this page.

Please take time to read the latest Bursary Fund Guide.

We are committed to ensuring everyone who should have access to this fund receives it to support them in their studies.

16-19 Bursary Fund Guide 2023-24

16 to 19 Bursary Fund: a summary

1. Overview

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:

  • studying at a publicly funded school or college in England - not a university
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience

A publicly funded school is one that does not charge you for attending it.

If you’re 19 and over

You could also get a bursary if you either:

What a bursary is for

A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:

  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course
  • transport and lunch on days you study or train

2. What you'll get

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursary:

  • a bursary for students in vulnerable groups
  • a discretionary bursary

Bursary for students in vulnerable groups

You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200, depending on your circumstances and benefits.

Discretionary bursary

You could get a discretionary bursary if you need financial help but do not qualify for a bursary for students in vulnerable groups. Your education or training provider decides how much you get and what it’s used for.

If you’re over 19, you’ll only be eligible for a discretionary bursary.

Your provider will decide how you get your bursary. You might get:

  • an instalment paid by cash, cheque or bank transfer
  • things like a travel pass, free meals or books

Some providers also offer one-off payments to cover study trips or travel for university interviews.

Your provider could stop payments if you break their rules, for example about attendance or how your bursary is used.

3. Eligibility

You must:

  • be at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August 2023
  • study at a publicly funded school or college, or be on an unpaid training course
  • meet the residency requirements - your school or college can check this

Bursary for students in vulnerable groups

You may be able to get a bursary if at least one of the following applies:

  • you’re in or you recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

The amount you may get depends on the costs you have and what you need for your course. This might include money for books, equipment or travel costs to school or college.

Discretionary bursary

Your school or college will have their own criteria for discretionary bursaries. They’ll look at your individual circumstances - this usually includes your family income.

Ask student services about their criteria and any evidence you’ll need.

You can apply to a discretionary bursary if you’re over 19 and either:

4. How to claim

Apply to your school, college or training provider. Ask student services or your tutor to explain what you need to do.

When to apply

Apply once you know where you’ll study or train, so you’ll get your bursary as soon as possible.

You might need to reapply for a bursary for each year of your course. Check with your provider.

5. Help

Your tutor or student services can help you decide if you’re eligible for a bursary and explain how to apply.

Contact the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) if your tutor or student services cannot answer your question.

You think a decision is unfair

Speak to student services if you’re unhappy with a decision. Follow their complaints process if you cannot resolve the problem.

Emergencies and hardship

You might be able to get more support if your circumstances change or you have an emergency. Your provider might also have a separate hardship fund. Speak to student services if you need extra help.


Further enquiries about the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund can be obtained by contacting Mrs Gratrix, Sixth Form Administrator at