Year 9 Trip to the British Muslim Heritage Centre
Over two mornings, Y9 had the opportunity to visit the British Muslim Heritage Centre.
Originally built as a college for trained ministers for the Congregational Church, the Grade II listed building in Whalley Range gave pupils the chance to undertake a course of short activities investigating different aspects of Islam. This included;
1) Salah - prayer mats, the Quran, understand wudu and go to the wudu area to have a go.
2) Ramadan – discussion, chance to try dates and halal sweets.
3) Islamic Dress - chance to dress up and discuss.
4) Features of a mosque – in the prayer room.
5) House of Wisdom – looking at the major contributions of Islamic civilisation to the world today.
6) Snack station - biscuits, squash drink, fruit - chance to ask questions.
It was a brilliant day, packed with hands-on activities and lots of questions to be asked.